Exploris Hotel is located on Potterstraat 24 in Utrecht. The Potterstraat, first mentioned in 1404, is between Oudegracht and Neude. On Potterstraat beautiful and well-known companies were established, including the old main post office, the cinemas Scala and Select, but also Heck’s lunchroom which was famous in the 1930s. From 2005 to 2011 discotheque Monza, where many Deejays showed their skills, was also established here.
But not only Potterstraat has a history. The Neude, the square opposite the hotel, is rich in history too. Neude is a square on the trade route from Holland to Gelre and is close to Oudegracht. As a result, the square became a marketplace where merchants sold their vegetables, fruit and wheat until the Fruit hall and the Korenbeurs were opened on Vredenburg in 1894.
Utrecht is a city where one can browse around and gain experience for days. The historic city centre is rich in architectural sights, including the Dom church with the 112 metre high Dom tower, The Ink pot, Pandhof Domkerk and the Utrecht archives. This is just a small selection from the list of 32 locations that are worth visiting when you are in Utrecht. From old façades to high-quality modern architecture. In the attractive old centre there are many unique shops, small boutiques, nice restaurants and lunchrooms. An attraction you must not miss is a discovery trip under Dom square, the Domunder, with exciting stories about the Romans, the glorious Middle Ages and archaeological treasures.
If you want to discover Utrecht, then we recommend you walk the Trajectum Lumen. This is an evening walking trip that starts on Neude and ends on Domplein. The route is marked with drops of light on the path, and leads along 14 beautiful locations in the city. You can make this trip daily yourself, from sunset to midnight, and with a guide on Saturdays.
There is no lack of day markets in Utrecht. You can visit the following themed markets:
- Farmers’ market (Vredenburg): Fridays from 10 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- Flower market (Janskerkhof): Saturdays from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- Flower market (Oudegracht): Saturdays from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- Fabric market (Breedstraat): Saturdays from 8 A.M. to 1 P.M.
- Second-hand market (Jacobskerkhof): Saturdays from 8 A.M. to 1 P.M.
On Vredenburg there is also a general market with the following schedule.
- Wednesdays from 10 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- Fridays from 10 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- Saturdays from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- The first Sunday of the month, March to December from 11 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- The last Sunday before 5 December (Sinterklaas) from 11 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- The last Sunday before 25 December (Christmas) from 11 A.M. to 5 P.M.
Utrecht is the ideal city to tour by bike, or by boat through the canals in the centre. For the options for renting bikes, you can consult our portal on TV or visit the reception.
- De moeite waard
- American Steakhouse Broadway
- De Ouzerie Bar en Bistro (Spaans)
- De Zwarte Vosch (Spaans)
- El Qatarijne (Modern)
- Ellis Gourmet Burger (BBQ/Grill)
- Florin Utrecht (Engels)
- Jozef eten & drinken (Europees)
- Le Clochard (BBQ/Grill)
- Grieks Specialiteiten Restaurant Mykonos
- Popocatepetl The Mexican Utrecht
- Restaurant Pomo (Surinaams)
- Vis & Meer
- Tapasbar El Mundo
- Restaurants, Hollandse keuken
- Restaurants, Internationale keuken
- Restaurants, Franse keuken
- Restaurants, Italiaanse keuken
- Restaurants, Aziatische keuken